Inclement Weather Procedures for Staff
When school delay or closure seems possible, due to weather related concerns, our leadership follows the protocol below to help ensure that students and staff are as safe as possible. However, when it comes to the weather, none of us can be certain how things will develop and we count on each staff member to make decisions for their own safety.
Inclement weather procedures:
- If travel conditions are uncertain, transportation staff head out early in the morning to check road conditions. They are also in communication with local police departments and ODOT as needed. Staff report conditions to the Superintendent.
- The Superintendent makes the decision whether to delay school, or to close school for the day.
- In the event of a delay or closure, notifications are sent to staff (and students/families), posted to the school websites, and posted on Nixle. Efforts are made to get information out as early as possible.
How to stay informed:
- The district uses Blackboard (text/email/calls) for weather related communications to staff - keep your information up to date with the Human Resources department to ensure you are getting all messages.
- Check the district or school websites - an alert message will be posted in the event of a delay or closure.
- Sign up for Nixle messages: https://www.everbridge.com/products/nixle/
Should I report to work?
- Delayed Start: If there is a delayed start to the school day, all employees are expected to report no later than the announced start time.
- Certified Staff do not report to work.
- Classified Instructional Staff(educational assistants) and Food Service Staff do not report to work.
- Other Classified Staff (custodians, secretaries, family liaisons, health & technology staff) report to work when they can safely do so, unless otherwise notified.
- Transportation Staff will report as directed by the Transportation Supervisor.
- District Office and Administrators report to work when they can safely do so, unless otherwise notified.
HIGH WATER PLAN 2023-2024
Sometimes there is high water on Hwy 101, between the Hwy 26/Hwy 101 junction and the south end of Seaside, which makes it difficult to navigate this stretch of roadway. In the event of high water, staff have the option to ride a school bus to and from work.
- AM - Cannon Beach to Seaside Plan
Staff may catch the Blue Bus or the Purple Bus at the Divine Grounds Espresso Stand parking area at 7:20 am. The bus will deliver them to the schools.
- PM - Seaside to Cannon Beach Plan
Staff may board the Orange Bus at 2:35 pm at the elementary school or the Blue Bus at 3:35 pm at the secondary school. The buses will transport to the Divine Grounds Espresso Stand parking area.
ODOT Tripcheck - https://www.tripcheck.com/
Nixle Alerts - https://www.everbridge.com/products/nixle/