Talented and Gifted (TAG)
Talented & Gifted Coordinator:
Director of Special Services
Seaside School District provides a site-based advocacy model for the Talented and Gifted (TAG) program for students K-12. Qualification for the TAG program is based on the following criteria (no one assessment will qualify a student):
- Intellectually gifted students who score at or above the 97th percentile on a nationally standardized intelligence test may be identified.
- Academically talented students who score at or above the 97th percentile in total reading or total mathematics on a state assessment or nationally standardized achievement test may be identified.
- Students who have the potential to perform at the 97th percentile on either an intelligence test or an achievement tests in total reading or total mathematics may also be identified.
Students may be referred for TAG testing in one or more of these ways:
- Teachers may refer student for testing.
- Parents may request testing.
- The TAG coordinator, after reviewing state assessment scores, may request permission to test.
- Students may refer themselves.
Students who qualify for the TAG program receive support in developing a Personal Education Plan that can allow for students to work at their own rate and level.
At grade K-5, teachers will differentiate instruction to meet the needs of TAG students. This may mean individual assignments, extended assignments, special projects, advanced curricula, or more.
At grade 6-12, teacher will again differentiate instruction to meet the needs of TAG students; however, other options included advanced courses, Advanced Placement (AP) or Honors courses, Independent Study, cyber school (Internet) courses, or simultaneous enrollment at Clatsop Community College.
At Seaside High School, students are assigned to a TAG advocate for the duration of their academic career. Programs at the high school also included TAG field trips.
For more information about TAG programs statewide, please check out the Oregon Department of Education website